Sunday, December 20, 2009

Believe in Yourself - a guest post

Juniors performing In Your Eyes at JUMP Convention
There are many people in our lives who feel compelled to remind us "we can't" or "we shouldn't" or "it might not work." Their intentions may be good, but they inadvertently deprive us of the freedom to use our own instincts as our guides. If I had listened to "you can't" I don't know where I would be today. But because I believed in myself & listened to what my heart was telling me, I have lived out my dreams not only as a dancer but in many other capacities as well.


Lauren taking jazz class at JUMP Convention
Remember, you are not alone. Few of us were free from self-doubt when we started out. All those troubling questions: Am I good enough? Do I have what it takes? Will I ever feel confident enough to become a dancer? The answer can be "yes" to all three - but how do we get the "yesses" going?

We thought we'd bring you a guest this post. Dexter Foxworth is a Columbia City Jazz alumni. After graduating Dexter auditioned for Disney, and has performed in a number of disney productions. Dexter is still working with Disney in their production department and is responsible in helping bring new shows to life.

Believe in Yourself

Here are a few things that help me stay centered on my beliefs:
  • 1. Put notes up of self-encouragement on the bathroom mirror and the corner of your computer screen. Seeing these messages will encourage your mind to welcome them.
  • 2. Surround yourself with people who have confidence in you and let them know the kind of support you need. Ask your biggest supporters to remind you daily of your goal and encourage you to do it.
  • 3. If you sense someone is eager to share their negativity with you, talk to them about how they speak to you. If that doesn't work, consider moving on and developing other friendships.

Redirect some of that energy that goes into doubting yourself into building yourself up. You can start with a little self-praise. Give yourself a pat on the back every time you make progress, whether it's with those triple pirouettes in class or getting a good grade in school. Also, hear the praise you get from others, even if it's only about what you're wearing or how you've fixed your hair. Hear it and accept it. And silently agree with it. Agreeing with praise sends your mind a healthy message. You did something right. It's another step towards gaining the self-confidence you want for yourself. Putting a lot of small confidences together leads to believing in yourself. And, believe me, nothing's more powerful than believing in yourself when you step up to the line at an audition.

Believe in yourself!

Dexter

---------
Special thanks to Dexter for sharing some of his knowledge with us!
---------

Dale Lam - Artistic Director
Les Mizzell - Technical Director
The Columbia City Jazz Dance Company Website
Dale and Les on Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment